Business Development Manager
Bloom Works is a women-owned digital services company that helps organizations serve people better. We’re a coalition of digital gov alums who partner with governments and mission driven organizations to design and build digital services that improve people’s lives. We're product managers, UX designers, researchers, content strategists, writers, software engineers, and strategists and we bring those skills to help our partners build internal, sustainable capacity to transform how they deliver services.
Our current work includes projects with all levels of government and nonprofits, including: replacing legacy state unemployment insurance systems, helping people find licensed mental health and substance abuse treatment providers, making plain-language web content that helps people access services, conducting discovery sprints to modernize government digital services and processes, and strengthening and streamlining foster care systems. To learn more about what kinds of work we do, see more information on our capabilities and contract vehicles.
We’re looking for a Business Development Manager to help us grow and further develop our work with government agencies and teaming partners.
As Business Development Manager, you’ll work closely with the leadership team at Bloom to manage and operationalize our business development practice, including how we find new business and expand our relationships in order to grow sustainably.. You’ll help us pursue projects and partnerships that are a good fit for Bloom’s values and expertise. We’re looking for someone with deep experience with the capture process, an established network in the government or public interest technology community, and a passion for improving outcomes.
Given the autonomy of this role, it’s crucial that you thrive with ambiguity — with a wide enough aperture to see opportunities and the focus to follow ideas through to completion. You understand the government context, have experience scoping large projects, and can convey Bloom’s unique expertise in a clear and compelling way.
In this role, you will:
- Identify opportunities for Bloom’s growth including expanding partnerships, joining contract vehicles, and pursuing specific projects
- Manage and operationalize Bloom’s business development pipeline, meeting regularly with Bloom leadership to make strategic teaming and go/no-go decisions
- Proactively build and strengthen Bloom’s relationships with potential clients and teaming partners
- Refine and manage our capture process to develop effective and competitive proposals
- Read and understand complex solicitations, distilling win themes, key requirements, and compliance considerations and conveying them clearly for others contributing to the proposals (e.g. teaming partners, subject matter experts)
- Write proposals, collaborating with subject matter experts to draft new content and leveraging existing content when possible
- Maintain and constantly improve evergreen proposal content
- Within the context of a proposal, identify strategic teaming partners and build coalitions to respond to opportunities (includes negotiating workshare and pricing conversations)
- Continuously seek out and incorporate situational context and evolving market trends
- Establish and meet ambitious deadlines
- Seek feedback on proposals and incorporate lessons learned into future submissions
- Serve as an ambassador for Bloom, representing the organization at external events and upholding the organization’s values
- Learn, embrace change, and ask insightful questions
What we're looking for
- 6+ years of experience in public sector digital service delivery and procurement
- Experience with public sector procurement and capture processes
- A deep understanding of procurement rules, contracting vehicles, and methods for tracking opportunities
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- A collaborative mindset
- Exceptional writing skills and the ability to convey complex information in a clear, compelling way
- Ability to effectively manage communication across a distributed team in the face of constantly shifting information
- Ability to nurture existing and new relationships
- An adaptive, proactive, empathetic, and tenacious mindset
- A process mindset and desire to continuously improve business development operations
$135-150k, depending on experience
- An environment that empowers you to apply your skills and experience for the public good
- Remote-friendly work environment
- Dental & vision
- Life insurance
- PTO, holidays, and sick leave
- Tech equipment stipend
- Professional Development stipend
- ST/LT disability
How to apply
We are primarily considering full-time candidates, though are open to contract positions to start. Chiefly, we want to grow our team thoughtfully, so if you are looking for a new full-time endeavor you can apply here.
More about our team, and commitment to building a diverse workforce
We envision a world that is made more equitable through better digital public services. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) is woven into everything we do, from our company’s strategy to the makeup of our team, to the work we take on. As a public interest technology company, we see diversity and equity-building as integral to both our mission and our research practices.
We are committed to disrupting power dynamics and equity barriers in our work. We recruit employees and partners who reflect the demographics of targeted end users, and we analyze, test, and iterate to make sure everyone can easily access and use the digital tools we build. As a public benefit company, we are compelled to generate social and public good, and to operate in a responsible and sustainable manner.
We look forward to hearing from you!