Head of Communications
Our mission is to create human-centered services. We’re a coalition of digital government alums who partner with governments and mission-driven organizations to design and build digital services that improve people’s lives. We help our partners build internal, sustainable capacity to transform how they do business.
We’re looking for a communication strategy expert to join us in crafting and sharing the story of Bloom’s work and impact. You’ll dive into the areas we're passionate about — like child welfare, organ donation reform, and safety net benefits — and amplify the most impactful stories. You’ll collaborate on content and messaging strategies to illustrate how we partner with governments and organizations to serve people better. You’ll also help our partners tell their own unique stories and show the impact of our work together.
In this role, you will
Lead, develop, and implement a communications strategy for Bloom.
- Identify opportunities to improve the way Bloom communicates its value to a variety of audiences, including through storytelling.
- Leverage existing channels to raise the visibility of Bloom’s work, values, and impact.
- Build and maintain relationships with key outlets in the civic tech and social impact space and highlight noteworthy work and insights on Bloom’s social media channels and blog.
- Establish and measure progress against performance metrics.
Develop and implement communication plans and processes alongside Bloom’s clients.
- Develop tailored communication plans and processes to meet each project’s goals and objectives, keeping in mind any constraints our clients face.
- Develop a wide range of content to meet client needs across a variety of media, including slide decks, case studies, social media campaigns, and traditional media.
- Incorporate diverse perspectives from a variety of user groups and stakeholders to develop inclusive messaging and dissemination strategies.
- Coach and empower our humble partners to champion the work we do together by equipping them with talking points, presentations, or reports that showcase the impact of our collaboration.
- Establish metrics to measure the effectiveness of storytelling and outreach across a variety of media.
Be willing to move forward despite ambiguity — we don't always have a roadmap, so sometimes we need to create it.
- Act autonomously and independently when needed.
- Coach Bloom's leadership team to ensure we're communicating effectively within our organization.
We’re looking for
- At least 3-5 years of experience crafting and telling engaging stories in plain language, preferably in the government or nonprofit sectors.
- A passion for civic technology and equitable government services.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- A savvy, strategic thinker who can develop communication plans and processes that encompass multiple platforms and audiences.
- A relationship builder who enjoys working with a variety of people and pitching in to support the team as projects demand.
- The ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines under pressure, and collaborate with a distributed team.
- Experience working in an agile, iterative way as part of a cross-functional team.
- Experience with federal government contractors and clients is a plus.
- Experience with writing and editing.
- A positive attitude and a sense of humor.
$100,000-120,000 depending on experience
- An environment that empowers you to apply your skills and experience for the public good
- Remote-friendly work environment
- Dental and vision
- Life insurance
- PTO, holidays, and sick leave
- Tech equipment stipend
- Professional development stipend
- ST/LT disability
How to apply
Does this role sound exciting to you? Let’s chat! Send your resume and a brief introduction email@example.com by Monday September 27th, 9am EST
At Bloom, we care deeply about diversity and inclusion, and believe our team is strongest when we bring a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. We’re an equal opportunity employer and don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloom cannot sponsor applicants for work visas at this time.
We look forward to hearing from you!